Saturday, January 17, 2009

Giving up games...at least for two weeks

Although I'd never think I'd have to utter such a deplorable phrase, I've finally been forced to say "I'm giving up all video games for two weeks!"

After finally finishing Persona 4 which topped off at about 90 hours (frigg'n awesome game by the way), I decided to give up gaming for two weeks so I could focus my free time on my other goals mainly working on Gamers Of Action and working on a top secret totally revolutionary socially conscious game project.

Well I lied about the "totally revolutionary" part because I'm still don't have a solid game concept or design for now although I'm kicking around a few ideas that I would like to tackle.

The real question that needs to be answered though is what do I do about my gaming addiction at the end next week ( I've already been game free for 1 whole week :( ). Do I continue practicing game abstinence or do I just go back to my old habits? Ultimately I think I'll just have to decide to give up gaming on certain days of the week to force myself to get other productive things done.

Man I have to make the "Guilt Be Gone" game that has the magical ability of assuaging my guilt about gaming. It could be a game that helps you rationalize why you play video games and how they better your life and a good use of your time. Hmm now that I think about it, it sounds like the whole rationalization angle is already handled by the mainstream gaming press.

Speaking of the mainstream gaming press, check out Brian Rubinow's blog "The Select Button" for a very eloquent on going critique and reflection on the state of videogame journalism.

The Select Button blog is definitely one to watch as Brian's vision for videogame journalism and the gaming industry in general run parallel to my own goals and dreams for the industry and its gamers.

No comments: